Friday, October 10, 2014

Last day in Paris ...

Off to The Louvre for our last day ... you can't visit Paris without seeing this incredible museum and seeing a view masterpieces, right?  *smile*

The pyramid is the entrance to the Louvre and is surrounded by lovely fountains ...


I nice passerby offered to take our picture in front of the pyramid fountain ...


Our goal for our visit was to not stand in long lines ... so we bought our tickets a few days before and by passed the long lines .. it was wonderful! lol  Buying your tickets ahead of time really is helpful and so is renting the headsets that explain what art you are viewing.  We didn't rent those and regretted it ... after all the entire museum is in French, something we wish we'd rented.

With map in hand, we headed off to see the Mona Lisa ... on our way we saw just a few lovely paintings ...







The painting on the ceiling was awesome ...

We entered the room that the Mona Lisa is in and I wish I'd taken a picture of the crowd of people around her ... it took a bit of waiting to make your way to the front of the line ... but it was so worth it ... she's amazing!  Much larger than I expected.  Unfortunately this is about has close as you can get ... but wow, it's the Mona Lisa!


Off to find the Venus de Milo sculpture ... and I do mean find ... The Louvre is like a maze, even with a map it's a bit of a fun challenge.  Here's Venus ... she is lovely ...


We then went to see a couple of Michelangelo sculptures ... This is The Rebellious Slave ... such a moving sculpture ... 

This is Dying Slave, he looks like he should be laying down ...

This is a bronze statue of Hercules ... 

This statue of Mary and Jesus was wonderful, unfortunately the window behind made getting a good picture very difficult ... but we loved seeing this piece ...

We spent about 4 hours at The Louvre and only saw a very small percentage of all the wonderful works of art in this museum ... here are some more pictures ...




my, what big feet you have!






 

We're leaving the next day for Amsterdam ... just doing a quick layover before heading for home.  I'll post our short but fun trip to Amsterdam next week.  I'm getting ready to head to Myrtle Beach for PALS Fall Fling ... but I'll be back and bore you with more and more photos!  *smile*

I'll leave you with some random pictures of the city of Paris ... 








I hope you find your Joy in your stitches ...

I'm grateful for pictures ...

 

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh wow! Those paintings!!! What an awesome, awesome museum.

Barb said...

So glad you were able to have this amazing trip!!!

cucki said...

Wow such lovely paintings
I love Mona Lisa one too and all the others xx

Marilyn said...

Great pics.
Glad you got to go and enjoy your time.
Thanks for sharing, and we'll be waiting for pics from Pals. :)
Marilyn

Mii Stitch said...

Glad you're having a great time in France. When I saw Mona Lisa I was so surprised by how small the painting was!!! I imagined it so much bigger :)

Purple Pixie Dust said...

Thanks for showing us those lovely pictures, I'll never get to Paris so at least I got to see some of it. thanks hugs Lynda Ruth

Andrea said...

So pleased you had a great time. I have enjoyed the photos enormously.